Federal laws will affect your commercial driver license!

Posted: July 1, 2015
Source: WA State Dept. of Licensing

On September 1, 2015, We will comply with the Federal requirement that all commercial drivers provide proof of lawful permanent residency or U.S. citizenship when they apply for or renew their commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP).

For current CDL and CLP holders this means 5 things:

  1. You are only required to present proof of lawful permanent residency or U.S. citizenship at your next renewal or other transaction that requires a change to your record. This includes name, address, and endorsement changes. The ability to renew and make changes to your personal driver license is not affected by these requirements.
  2. Sample photo of enhanced driver licenseIf you hold a valid enhanced personal driver license or enhanced commercial driver license issued in Washington before September 1, 2015, you are not required to again prove your permanent legal residency or U.S. citizenship. This type of license is identified by a red colored bar at the top of the card and the words “ENHANCED DRIVER LICENSE” or “ENHANCED COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE.”
  3. Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency is not required to replace a lost, damaged or stolen card. Duplicate commercial learner permits and commercial driver licenses may be purchased at any driver license office.
  4. Visit a CDL/CLP office to complete your transaction.
  5. You must provide 1 of 6 federally approved, government-issued documents. Obtaining duplicate documents can take several weeks. We advise you to begin the process immediately if you do not currently have at least one in your possession. Photocopies are not accepted.
— Read the complete source story.
Posted in: