Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 George Cavano Scholarship!
- Daniele Curley
(Teamster Member: Scott Curley / UPS)
- Elizabeth Gore
(Teamster Member: Dave Blaney / Peninsula)
- Nicole Polyakov
(Teamster Member: Alexander Polyakov / Reddaway)
- Travis Kersey
(Teamster Member: Kevin Kersey / CSI)
General Teamsters Retiree Club Scholarship
GENERAL RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS
The General Teamster Retiree Club Scholarship will impose no restrictions of any kind on the course of study. Recipient may accept any other grant or award which do not in themselves rule out scholarship aid from other sources. Scholarships will be awarded to the selected winners for study at any accredited College, University, or Vocational School.
WHO MAY APPLY
Sons, daughters, step-children and grand children of members of Teamster Locals #38, #66, #117, #174, #227, or #763. The member may be either the parent who is in good standing and a dues paying member for at least one (1) year immediately preceding the date of application, or a grandparent who was a member in good standing for at least one (1) year immediately preceding the date of withdrawal or retirement.
The applicant must be planning to attend the fall semester at a collage, university, or vocational school anywhere in the United States and who is able to meet the academic requirements for entrance in the college, university, or vocational school of their choice. Applications will be accepted until July 5, 2013.
All applications and required forms will be forwarded to the scholarship selection committee.
Apart from verifying the eligibility ofthe applicant, Teamster Locals #38, #66, #117, #174, #227 and #763 will not exercise any choice among the various applicants or indicate in any way that one applicant should be favored over another. Based on factors normally used in awarding academic scholarships, the Scholarship Selection Committee will review each applicant and their qualifications and select a winner. This selection will be made without regard to the applicant’s race, color, sex, religion, ethnic origin, or physical handicaps.
The scholarship winners will be announced as soon as possible and a check will be deposited, in the name of the winner at the College, University, or Vocational School he/she plans to attend.
All of the following items must be received by July 5, 2013:
- A brief resume of your academic achievements and career goals
- A list of extra-curricular activities
- Work experiences; indicate if you work during the school year, what kind of work and how many hours per week
- Official transcript of your High School, College, University, or Vocational School work to date
- Two written references. One from a community leader and one from a faculty member, who should be in your major field
- Write a brief statement on what a Union means to you
It is the responsibility of the applicant to see the above items are received on time and that they are sent to:
General Teamster Retire Club
Scholarship Selection Committee
14675 Interurban Ave S
Tukwila WA 98168
Cheryl Johnson ITWC Scholarship
The International Teamster Women’s Caucus (ITWC) awards two (2) scholarships annually not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500 USD) each to deserving high school seniors based on academics. All applications must comply with the following eligibility and application criteria. Each applicant must:
- Be the daughter or son of an active or retired Teamster member (parent/guardian) who has at least twelve (12) months of consecutive membership in good standing in the Teamsters Union as of the date of application;
- Be in the last year of high school or GED program and may not apply if already graduated from high school;
- Plan to submit SAT or ACT scores for academic evaluation (does not apply to Canadian applicants);
- Plan to attend an accredited college, university, trade or business school.
- Complete this application. Print, fill out and forward the application to the International Teamster Women’s Caucus by May 1st of your graduation year in order to be received by the necessary deadline.
- Attach an essay of 500 to 750 words on the following topic: “How can Unions motivate our youth and women in particular to become involved in the Union?”
- Along with your completed application, additional information will be required. This information is as follows:
a) An official high school transcript which includes your class rank.
b) General Education Certificate or equivalent and applicable records or;
c) SAT results or ACT results for academic consideration (does not apply to Canadian applicants).
d) Proof of Teamster parent/guardian membership status (copy of latest dues receipt or print out from the Local Union).
James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship
The James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund awards scholarships annually to outstanding high school seniors. All applicants must comply with the following eligibility and application criteria. Each applicant must:
- Be the son, daughter or grandchild of an active, retired, disabled, deceased or laid-off Teamster member who has or had at least twelve months of consecutive membership in good standing in the Teamsters Union;
- Be in his/her last year of high school and may not apply if he/she has already graduated from high school;
- Be in the top 15% of his/her high school class;
- Plan to submit excellent SAT or ACT scores for evaluation (U.S. only);
- Plan to attend an accredited four-year college or university. Those who plan to attend non-academic
or certificate programs or community college, may not apply.
The James R Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund is an independent organization established and registered as a tax exempt entity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Fund is established solely to provide scholarships to the children and dependents of members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and contributions to the Fund are deductible as charitable contributions to the extent permitted by law. The International Union provides certain in kind services to the Fund, such as this portion of the union web site, in order to benefit members and their children and dependents.
- For more information about the Hoffa Scholarship, click here.
- Download the brochure here.
- Download the poster here.
- Download the application here.
James R. Hoffa became a Teamster member in 1934 and served as General President for 14 years. In recognition of his tireless service to the Union and its members, Hoffa was honored as General President Emeritus for life. At the November 1999 General Executive Board meeting, General Secretary-Treasurer C. Thomas Keegel presented a resolution to establish the new scholarship fund
Ann Gallagher Memorial Scholarship
The Ann Gallagher scholarship is available to graduating high school seniors whose parent is a member of an affiliated union. Applications must be submitted by July 5, 2013 to be considered.